Firstly before you find out why certain styles have been given the label "Podiatrist Approved" we should probably tell you what a Podiatrist is...
A Podiatrist is a healthcare professional who has studied for 3 years and performed a minimum of 1000 clinical hours in order to obtain a degree in Podiatry. This allows them to diagnose and treat abnormal conditions of the feet and lower limbs. In addition they prevent and correct deformity and keep people, mobile, active and pain free.
A key factor in achieving happy, healthy and active feet is footwear choice. A good fit is essential, especially as in our lifetime we will walk the equivalent of 4 times around the equator of the earth.
With this in mind Emily ( Pure Envie Founder and in house Podiatrist) has labelled some styles of Footwear 'Podiatrist Approved' Whilst no two feet are the same, not even on the same person, good footwear should follow the 5 following rules to ensure a good fit, and our Podiatrist Approved footwear meet all of the points below:
1) There is adequate width and depth in the shoe to allow normal foot function.
2) The toebox is deep enough and wide enough to allow for normal foot function.
3) There is a wide stable heel of approx 1 inch (2.5 cm) to encourage a natural arch and normal foot function.
4) There is a substantial outersole grip that encourages normal foot function.
5) There is a means to adjust or tighten the shoe around the foot, or the front of the shoe is enclosed keeping the foot in position within the shoe.
Emily has been a qualified HCPC Podiatrist for 17 years now and has a wealth of experience and passion when it comes to selecting the perfect footwear for you. Should you require and specific help or guidance, please feel free to contact us, we would be happy to help!